The Metro Public Health Department announced Monday three new batches of mosquitoes have tested positive for West Nile virus.
One of the recent batches of collected insects were found in an east Nashville neighborhood, near the intersection of McFerrin and Grandada avenues, while another batch was collected in Bordeaux near the Hydes Ferry Road and Ashton Avenue intersection.
The final batch was collected in an Inglewood neighborhood near the intersection of McGavock Pike and Fernwood Drive.
Since May 1, a total of 26 batches of mosquitoes have tested positive for West Nile in the Nashville area.
No human cases have been reported.
Officials from the health department have visited each of the areas and will continue to inspect standing water areas and apply larvicide if mosquito larvae are present.
Currently there are no plans to spray the areas.
The Health Department recommends taking the following steps to protect against biting mosquitoes, including:
• Limit time outdoors at dusk and nighttime hours when mosquitoes are present.
• If you must be outdoors then wear a mosquito repellent that is approved for use by the CDC – those include products that contain DEET, Picaridin, and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
• Wear shoes, socks, long sleeve shirts and pants when outdoors during dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most prevalent. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials to keep mosquitoes away from the skin. Pant legs should be tucked into shoes or socks, and collars should be buttoned.
• Make sure your windows and doors have screens and are in good repair.
Anyone seeking more information about mosquito control in Davidson County may call 615-340-5660.
- July 16, 2013: 3 new batches of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile
- July 2, 2013: 5 new batches of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile
- June 24, 2013: Goodlettsville neighborhood tests positive for West Nile
- June 10, 2013: 2 batches of mosquitoes test positive in WNV in Old Hickory, Antioch
- June 3, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bordeaux, Donelson
- May 24, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bellevue neighborhood
- May 13, 2013: Batch of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in Bordeaux