17 recovering from fumes at Tenn. restaurant

2 suspects flee I-24 traffic stop (Image 1)

ALCOA, Tenn. (AP) – Alcoa authorities say 17 people are recovering after being sent to the hospital due to fumes at a Texas Roadhouse restaurant.

Fire Deputy Chief Tom Daffron told The Daily News that firefighters immediately evacuated diners after being called to the building about 10 p.m. Friday because of a chemical smell.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports those taken to area hospitals were treated for eye irritations and respiratory problems. Authorities said no serious injuries were reported.

Daffron says the fumes were caused when an employee mixed bleach with other cleaners. He says the release of chemicals into the air was accidental.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s