The Metro Public Health Department announced on Tuesday three new batches of collected mosquitoes have tested positive for West Nile virus.
Officials said two batches of mosquitoes were captured in the Antioch area near the intersection of Edge O. Lake Drive and Bell Road. An additional batch was also collected in a north Nashville neighborhood near the Buena Vista Pike and Moormans Arm Road intersection.
Since May 1, 21 batches of mosquitoes have tested positive for West Nile in the Nashville area. No human cases have been reported.
Officials from the health department have visited each of the infected areas and will continue to inspect standing water areas and apply larvicide if mosquito larvae are present.
Currently there are no plans to spray the areas.
The Health Department recommends taking the following steps to protect against biting mosquitoes, including:
- Limit time outdoors at dusk and nighttime hours when mosquitoes are present.
- If you must be outdoors then wear a mosquito repellent that is approved for use by the CDC – those include products that contain DEET, Picaridin, and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
- Wear shoes, socks, long sleeve shirts and pants when outdoors during dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most prevalent. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials to keep mosquitoes away from the skin. Pant legs should be tucked into shoes or socks, and collars should be buttoned.
- Make sure your windows and doors have screens and are in good repair.
Anyone seeking more information about mosquito control in Davidson County may call 615-340-5660.
- July 16, 2013: 3 new batches of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile
- July 2, 2013: 5 new batches of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile
- June 24, 2013: Goodlettsville neighborhood tests positive for West Nile
- June 10, 2013: 2 batches of mosquitoes test positive in WNV in Old Hickory, Antioch
- June 3, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bordeaux, Donelson
- May 24, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bellevue neighborhood
- May 13, 2013: Batch of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in Bordeaux