The Metro Public Health Department announced on Tuesday that three new batches of mosquitoes have tested positive for the West Nile virus.
Officials said one batch of mosquitoes was captured in west Nashville near the intersection of 52nd Avenue North and Charlotte Pike.
A batch was also discovered in a north Nashville neighborhood near the intersection of 28th Avenue North and Clifton Avenue.
The final batch of mosquitoes was collected in Antioch near the intersection of Edge O. Lake Drive and Bell Road.
According to Metro Public Health Department officials, the three recent findings brings the total to 18 batches of mosquitoes that have tested positive for West Nile in the Nashville area since May 1.
No human cases have been reported.
Officials from the health department have visited each of the areas and will continue to inspect standing water areas and apply larvicide if mosquito larvae are present.
Currently there are no plans to spray the areas.
The Health Department recommends taking the following steps to protect against biting mosquitoes, including:
- Limit time outdoors at dusk and nighttime hours when mosquitoes are present.
- If you must be outdoors then wear a mosquito repellent that is approved for use by the CDC – those include products that contain DEET, Picaridin, and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
- Wear shoes, socks, long sleeve shirts and pants when outdoors during dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most prevalent. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials to keep mosquitoes away from the skin. Pant legs should be tucked into shoes or socks, and collars should be buttoned.
- Make sure your windows and doors have screens and are in good repair.
Anyone seeking more information about mosquito control in Davidson County may call 615-340-5660.
- July 2, 2013: 5 new batches of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile
- June 24, 2013: Goodlettsville neighborhood tests positive for West Nile
- June 10, 2013: 2 batches of mosquitoes test positive in WNV in Old Hickory, Antioch
- June 3, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bordeaux, Donelson
- May 24, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bellevue neighborhood
- May 13, 2013: Batch of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in Bordeaux