The Metro Public Health Department announced on Tuesday five new batches of collected mosquitoes have tested positive for the West Nile virus.
Three batches of mosquitoes were captured in the Bordeaux area near the intersection of Drakes Branch Road and Kings Lane, while another batch was collected in a Donelson neighborhood near the intersection of Fernbrook Lane and McGavock Pike.
The final batch of mosquitoes was collected in West Meade near the intersection of Harding Pike and Percy Warner Boulevard.
Since May 1 a total of 15 batches of mosquitoes have tested positive for the virus in Davidson County. No human cases have been reported.
Officials from the health department plan to visit the neighborhoods this week to place additional mosquito traps and to pass out fliers. Staff will also apply larvicide if mosquito larvae are present.
Currently there are no plans to spray the area.
The Health Department recommends taking the following steps to protect against biting mosquitoes, including:
- Limit time outdoors at dusk and nighttime hours when mosquitoes are present.
- If you must be outdoors then wear a mosquito repellent that is approved for use by the CDC – those include products that contain DEET, Picaridin, and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
- Wear shoes, socks, long sleeve shirts and pants when outdoors during dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most prevalent. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials to keep mosquitoes away from the skin. Pant legs should be tucked into shoes or socks, and collars should be buttoned.
- Make sure your windows and doors have screens and are in good repair.
Anyone seeking more information about mosquito control in Davidson County may call 615-340-5660.
- June 24, 2013: Goodlettsville neighborhood tests positive for West Nile
- June 10, 2013: 2 batches of mosquitoes test positive in WNV in Old Hickory, Antioch
- June 3, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bordeaux, Donelson
- May 24, 2013: Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile in Bellevue neighborhood
- May 13, 2013: Batch of mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in Bordeaux