A local man is lucky to be alive after he was shocked while trimming trees in Maury County.
Stephen Kewin, 30, was working with a crew behind a home on Greens Mill Road Tuesday morning when something went wrong.
“I had the branch in one hand and was cutting real slow with the other hand trying to let it fall. I pushed it out of the way and just kind of caught a little gust of wind and it blew the branch back. It rolled over my hand as best as I remember and just landed on the lines,” Kewin told Nashville's News 2.
The next thing Kewin remembers is feeling a jolt.
“It took me a second to realize what had happened and when I did, I couldn't let go of the branch,” Kewin recalled.
Kewin says he was unable to speak or move his body for several minutes and thought he was paralyzed.
A homeowner heard crew members yelling and dialed 911.
When help arrived, Kewin was nearly 40-feet up in the tree, still tied to his safety harness.
His co-workers were able to bring him to the ground and he was flown to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Kewin suffered small burns to both hands and his thigh.
While Kewin has worked as a tree trimmer for many years, Tuesday was his first day on the job with Wolf Tree.
The company was doing work for Duck River Electric.
Kewin says he's had close calls in the past but nothing like this.
He is engaged to be married and was planning a fall wedding, but after the incident he and his fiancée are considering tying the knot sooner.
“I feel incredibly lucky. I don't even know if that's the word for it. I am very blessed and feel very cared for by God and everybody involved,” said Kewin.
Kewin is expected to be released from the hospital on Wednesday. His recovery is estimated to take about six weeks.
- May 28, 2013: Man electrocuted while trimming tree in Maury County