Hickory Hollow Mall will re-open Saturday with new management, a new name, and a new direction.
Global Mall at the Crossings encompasses 617,000 square feet of retail space on 27 acres in Antioch.
More than 60 leases have been signed to fill the newly designed storefronts.
General Manager Ravi Shektar told Nashville's News 2 that the traditionally large spaces on the upper level have been divided into smaller units to accommodate and attract local entrepreneurs. Each set of divided units will reflect the diversity in the area, representing Asian, African, Indian, Latino, and Middle Eastern cultures.
The lower level will remain a traditional mall with stores like Foot Locker.
Some of the new additions to the mall include E Corral Western Wear, Variedades Suyapa, 7 Secrets, In Style, X-Treme, Moda, Vogue, Global Grocery (Indian) and Pretty Brows.
An estimated 20 eateries and stores will be open on Saturday, with the remaining tenants in place by the end of the month.
Highpoint Security will also be on site. The company occupies the space temporarily held by the Metro Police Department. Security personnel will also be on patrol around the clock. Additional security cameras were also installed throughout the mall.
The mall has been home to less than a dozen functioning stores since last June, leaving plenty of space for new developments.
A satellite campus for Nashville State Community College moved into the old Dillard's location last August.
In June, the city will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the public library, community center, and recreation space in the old JCPenney location.
The other anchor stores, previously Macy's and Sears, were not purchased by new management and remain closed.
New construction can be seen at the food court entrance. Two separate storefronts have been transformed for meeting and event purposes.
A meeting space, suitable for up to 100 guests, is situated in the former arcade.
On the opposite side is a 14,000 square foot event space, complete with a stage and sound system.
The ribbon cutting for Global Mall at the Crossings is scheduled at the event space at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- April 1, 2013: 60 stores to move into old Hickory Hollow Mall
- Jan. 9, 2013: New Hickory Hollow owners have big plans for mall
- Oct. 31, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall sold for $1 million
- June 3, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall retailers uncertain about future plans
- June 1, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall moves forward with redevelopment plans
- April 24, 2012: Plato's Closet plans to move to new location
- April 16, 2012: Meeting allows Antioch residents to voice opinion on city's future
- April 14, 2012: Antioch Best Buy 1 of 50 stores closing nationwide
- April 5, 2012: Antioch looks to expand, develop community
- Jan. 16, 2012: City officials expect Hickory Hollow to make comeback
- Jan. 4, 2012: Macy's to close at Hickory Hollow Mall
- Dec. 29, 2011: Sears, Kmart stores to close in Mid-State
- Dec. 7, 2010: Metro Council defers vote on Hickory Hollow leases
- Nov. 17, 2010: Business owners back Mayor Dean's Hickory Hollow plan
- Sept. 10, 2010: Mayor unveils revitalization project for Hickory Hollow Mall
- Aug. 4, 2010: Dillard's to leave Hickory Hollow Mall