NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A southern Kentucky woman has died at a Nashville hospital of complications from fungal meningitis.
Hospital spokeswoman Rebecca Climer told The Tennessean 71-year-old Carol Wetton of Guthrie, Ky., died Tuesday of complications from an original infection.
The Tennessee Department of Health confirmed a death associated with the outbreak of fungal infections occurred and said the death brings to 15 the number of people who have died in the state. Tainted injections were discovered several months ago. A statement from the department said it is possible there could yet be other deaths from the infections. Wetton's death was the first one reported in four months.
On its Web site, the Cook-Webb Funeral Home in Guthrie said Wetton's funeral will be at 6 p.m. on Friday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Nov. 8, 2012: Tenn. fungal meningitis cases increase to 80
- Nov. 5, 2012: Tenn. sees 13th death in meningitis outbreak
- Nov. 2, 2012: Tenn. death toll from tainted medicine rises to 12
- Nov. 1, 2012: CDC: Tennessee meningitis cases increase to 75
- Oct. 31, 2012: Mass. firm tied to closed pharmacy issues recall
- Oct. 30, 2012: Another meningitis death reported in Tennessee
- Oct. 26, 2012: Death toll from meningitis rises to 10 in Tenn.
- Oct. 25, 2012: Madison woman sues steroid manufacturer for $5M
- Oct. 24, 2012: Dreyzehner: New CDC meningitis analysis provides hope
- Oct. 23, 2012: Pharmacist linked to outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 20, 2012: Meningitis death toll in Tenn. rises to 9
- Oct. 18, 2012: Tenn. sees 2 new meningitis cases
- Oct. 16, 2012: Meningitis possibly expands to other New England company products
- Oct. 15, 2012: Tenn. meningitis sues New England pharmacy
- Oct. 15, 2012: Pharmacy suspected in outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 14, 2012: Meningitis cases increase by 3 since Friday
- Oct. 13, 2012: Rutherford County School employee diagnosed with meningitis
- Oct. 11, 2012: Attorneys expect number of lawsuits in meningitis outbreak
- Oct. 11, 2012: Meningitis outbreak toll: 170 cases, 14 deaths
- Oct. 10, 2012: Meningitis cases in Tennessee increase to 44
- Oct. 9, 2012: What does life look like for fungal meningitis survivors?
- Oct. 9, 2012: Meningitis outbreak deaths rise to 6 in Tenn.
- Oct. 8, 2012: 4 Tenn. deaths linked to meningitis, 8 nationwide
- Oct. 7, 2012: CDC: More than 90 people ill with meningitis
- Oct. 6, 2012: CDC: Meningitis outbreak death toll rises to 7
- Oct. 5, 2012: 29 Sickened from fungal meningitis in Tennessee
- Oct. 4, 2012: Meningitis outbreak claims 3rd victim in Tennessee
- Oct. 3, 2012: Massachusetts firm tied to outbreak suspends operations
- Oct. 3, 2012: Rare meningitis cases up to 26 in 5 states, 4 die
- Oct. 2, 2012: Epidural patients worry about meningitis
- Oct. 2, 2012: 2 additional cases identified in meningitis 'outbreak'
- Oct. 1, 2012: Meningitis vaccinations offer best protection against infection
- Oct. 1, 2012: Nashville outpatient facility closed after 2 meningitis deaths