NEW YORK (AP) – Robin Roberts spent two days in the hospital fighting off an infection as part of her recuperation from a rare blood disease, and is off “Good Morning America” this week to rest.
The ABC News morning show host said she felt ill last week while on vacation and was told to return to New York and go to the hospital. She's home now, and posted on Facebook on Thursday that she's feeling much better.
Roberts underwent a bone marrow transplant in September to treat MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease. She was off work for five months before returning to the top-rated network morning show on a part-time basis in February.
She's generally worked three days a week, occasionally four. At the beginning of her return, ABC kept a potential fill-in on call at the studio in case she was feeling too ill to continue, the network said.
Roberts said doctors told her that her setback did not occur because she was working or doing too much.
“It's extremely common, post-bone marrow transplant, to have complications,” she wrote. “I'm blessed that mine have not been severe.”
She said she planned to be back on the top-rated network morning show next week.
Roberts also wrote that her heart goes out to Boston residents.
“It saddens me that I haven't been able to join my colleagues in covering this important story,” she said.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feb. 20, 2013: GMA celebrates Robin Roberts' return to the anchor desk
- Feb. 7, 2013: GMA announces Robin Roberts return
- Jan. 14, 2013: Robin Roberts plans to return to GMA soon
- Nov. 19, 2012: Robin Roberts reveals she was readmitted to hospital after transplant
- Nov. 5, 2012: Robin Roberts pleas for help for hurricane victims
- Sept. 20, 2012: Robin Roberts thanks viewers on day of marrow transplant
- August 30, 2012: Robin Roberts exits 'GMA' with promise to return
- August 29, 2012: Martina McBride to appear on GMA in support of Robin Roberts
- August 27, 2012: Robin Roberts begins medical leave next week
- July 27, 2012: Robin Roberts to take medical leave from Good Morning America
- June 11, 2012: ABC's Robin Roberts has blood, bone marrow disorder