Two construction workers were shocked early Wednesday morning while working in Williamson County.
The accident happened around 8:20 a.m. when employees with Link Utility Construction working as sub-contractors for Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation were working to replace power poles in the Redwing Farms neighborhood.
“We had two of our electric contract workers make contact with an energized line,” Todd Palmer, the Communications Coordinator, said.
“They were working with a guy wire which is used to support the pole and anchor the tension,” he continued.
One man was in a bucket truck near the top of the pole while the other was on the ground.
Both of the men had a hold of the guy wire when it came into contact with an energized wire.
A neighbor, who didn't want to go on camera, said she heard the pop this morning and when she stepped outside she saw one of the workers had external burns.
She explained that it looked like his shirt was burned off and the other one, she said, had internal injuries.
“Both victims left the scene, as they were both conscience and talking,” Palmer said.
The victims were transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where they are currently being treated for burns.
Working with electricity is a dangerous job and linemen take precautions by wearing protective clothing and gloves, but accidents can still occur.
“It is not something that we see everyday, but it is certainly something that we don't like to see. Our first thoughts are always with the people that are affected and certainly in this situation, we are thankful that there weren't any fatalities today,” Palmer added.
The last fatal contact with a Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation happened in March 2009 in Gladeville, Tennessee.