New owners of the former Hickory Hollow Mall said they have lease agreements with 60 new business owners for an upcoming grand re-opening next month.
The mall, which has been re-named The Global Mall at the Crossings, will re-open May 18 with stores that reflect the diversity of the Antioch community.
Amanda Adams who handles marketing for the mall said the Global Mall will include stores owned by local small businesses.
On Monday Nashville's News 2 toured some of the work being done at the mall and found more than a dozen storefronts with building permits for businesses such as Pretty Brows, Maria's Snacks, American Cell Wireless and Variedades Suyepa.
Last summer CBL, which owned and managed the mall, asked most of the tenants to vacate the property.
Currently the mall is home to only a few retailers. The Nashville Public Library will also move into a renovated space that was previously used by JC Penny.
During the day, a few dozen people were found walking around the mall in front of the vacant storefronts.
Jim Sager told Nashville's News 2 he walks there now but used to shop in Hickory Hollow when it was a vibrant mall.
“Anytime you see something going like this guy is trying to revamp it and everything. Yeah, you get excited about it,” he said. “You've got to have some positive attitude about it and it looks like they have, so if they think they can do it, then we'll support it.”
The mall is set to reopen in mid-May.
- Jan. 9, 2013: New Hickory Hollow owners have big plans for mall
- Oct. 31, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall sold for $1 million
- June 3, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall retailers uncertain about future plans
- June 1, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall moves forward with redevelopment plans
- April 24, 2012: Plato's Closet plans to move to new location
- April 16, 2012: Meeting allows Antioch residents to voice opinion on city's future
- April 14, 2012: Antioch Best Buy 1 of 50 stores closing nationwide
- April 5, 2012: Antioch looks to expand, develop community
- Jan. 16, 2012: City officials expect Hickory Hollow to make comeback
- Jan. 4, 2012: Macy's to close at Hickory Hollow Mall
- Dec. 29, 2011: Sears, Kmart stores to close in Mid-State
- Dec. 7, 2010: Metro Council defers vote on Hickory Hollow leases
- Nov. 17, 2010: Business owners back Mayor Dean's Hickory Hollow plan
- Sept. 10, 2010: Mayor unveils revitalization project for Hickory Hollow Mall
- Aug. 4, 2010: Dillard's to leave Hickory Hollow Mall