HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) – A man who pleaded guilty to killing five people in Tennessee has pleaded guilty to killing a sixth person in north Alabama.
Jacob Shaffer admitted to killing Sidney Wade Dempsey in Huntsville in 2009. He entered the plea during a court hearing on Friday.
After killing Dempsey, Shaffer went to Lincoln County, Tenn., where he killed his estranged wife and four other people.
The 33-year-old Shaffer reached plea deals that allow him to avoid possible death sentences in all six murders.
Alabama jurors still must consider evidence in Dempsey's murder because Shaffer pleaded guilty to a capital charge. That mini-trial is set for April 29.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- July 22, 2011: Fayetteville man pleads guilty to '09 murderous rampage
- Feb. 22, 2011: Sept. trial set for man charged in 5 slayings
- Nov. 19, 2009: Man charged in murderous rampage in court
- Nov. 19, 2009: Suspect in Fayetteville slayings complained about cheating wife
- July, 26, 2009: Funeral services held for 3 victims in Fayetteville rampage
- July, 21, 2009: Wife targeted, last to die in Fayetteville rampage
- July, 20, 2009: 5 victims of deadly rampage stabbed, 1 beaten
- July 19, 2009: Tenn. man charged with killing wife, her family
- July 18, 2009: Authorities say slayings in Tenn., Ala. linked