Child dies in Shelbyville house fire

Child dies in Shelbyville house fire (Image 1)
Child dies in Shelbyville house fire (Image 1)

A two-year-old girl was killed in a Shelbyville house fire on Saturday.

According to a report in the Shelbyville Times-Gazette the fire began before 11 a.m. at a home on Hoover Street.

The two-year-old was in a front room of the home, possibly a bedroom and that is where authorities believe the fire originated from.

The fire's cause is believed to be electrical in nature.

Officials said the girl's grandmother was caring for her at the time, she suffered minor burns.

The grandmother and grandfather were both taken to Heritage Medical Center, the grandfather
was reportedly uninjured.

Police said the girl was staying with her grandparents while her mother was working.

Crews said that an autopsy is planned for the child.

In order to determine the source of the fire the state bomb and arson squad will investigate the home.

The identity of the child has not yet been released.

The Shelbyville-Times Gazette contributed to this report.

blog comments powered by Disqus