The new owners of the Hickory Hollow have big plans to bring the mall back to life.
Some of the upcoming changes include a name change and remodeling the inside of the mall, among other improvements.
The downstairs area of the mall, which will be renamed the Global Mall at the Crossings will soon include American retail stores, while the upstairs area will feature international retail stores and grocery chain stores.
“It will actually be served more as a community place is the way I like to look at it. Almost like a Mecca in itself,” marketing director Quincy McKnight said.
A new Metro public library will also be inside the mall.
“We are excited that Metro is coming in. It is just going to generate more traffic flow here,” McKnight said.
He added the revitalized shopping center will be Tennessee's first international mall.
For Willis and Viola Ricks, who walk every day at the mall, the changes are a welcome.
“We are looking forward to it [because] we really don't have any placed to shop anymore,” Viola said.
The mall was purchased in late October for $1 million.
Global Mall at the Crossings is expected to officially announce the names of the tenants in early March.
Officials said a grand opening celebration is scheduled for April 1.
- Oct. 31, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall sold for $1 million
- June 3, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall retailers uncertain about future plans
- June 1, 2012: Hickory Hollow Mall moves forward with redevelopment plans
- April 24, 2012: Plato's Closet plans to move to new location
- April 16, 2012: Meeting allows Antioch residents to voice opinion on city's future
- April 14, 2012: Antioch Best Buy 1 of 50 stores closing nationwide
- April 5, 2012: Antioch looks to expand, develop community
- Jan. 16, 2012: City officials expect Hickory Hollow to make comeback
- Jan. 4, 2012: Macy's to close at Hickory Hollow Mall
- Dec. 29, 2011: Sears, Kmart stores to close in Mid-State
- Dec. 7, 2010: Metro Council defers vote on Hickory Hollow leases
- Nov. 17, 2010: Business owners back Mayor Dean's Hickory Hollow plan
- Sept. 10, 2010: Mayor unveils revitalization project for Hickory Hollow Mall
- Aug. 4, 2010: Dillard's to leave Hickory Hollow Mall