A man who ingested a pesticide commonly used to control mosquitoes has died.
Gamal Aiyad, 48, came in contact with Malathion Sunday while at a Shell station on Dickerson Road.
He was taken to Skyline Medical Center and later to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he died.
When Aiyad arrived at Skyline Medical Center, hospital workers were unsure what he had ingested and locked down a portion of the emergency room as a precaution.
HAZMAT crews also decontaminated more than a dozen members of the emergency room staff as a precaution.
Authorities said no employees or fire crew at Skyline Medical Center became sick following the incident, however, multiple sources told Nashville's News 2 Investigates a number of Vanderbilt personnel attending to Aiyad experienced respiratory distress.
Sources added that when Aiyad passed away, he excreted a substance that began to eat through the mattress he was lying upon.
Medical sources that Nashville's News 2 Investigates spoke with following Aiyad's death call the incident extremely unusual.
According to published reported, malathion metabolizes inside the human body becoming a substance even more “caustic” known as malaoxon.
“I am not aware that excreted metabolites following malathion/malaoxon ingestion is caustic or turns to acid like material,” toxicologist Sanmi Areola said.
Police are still investigating how Aiyad ingested Malathion.
Spokesperson Don Aaron said, “The circumstances surrounding the victim's death are very strange. It is unknown how this liquid came to be inside the man's body. Was it a suicide? Was he having issues that voluntarily caused him to ingest it was it an accident? Or was there some foul play involved?”
Toxicology results are pending.
Family members declined to speak with Nashville's News 2 about the investigation.
Additional information was not released.
- Jan. 7, 2012: Chemical scare shuts down parts of hospital for hours