NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Several companies in Middle Tennessee are arguing that a lawsuit against the federal government seeking damages for historic flooding in 2010 should be allowed to proceed.
The Tennessean reports motions were filed this month, and a federal judge has set a Jan. 13 hearing on the issue.
The case involves two lawsuits filed by companies that include Gibson Guitar, Nissan North America and Ryman Hospitality Properties that accuse the National Weather Service and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers of negligence. The companies contend that they suffered $353.5 million in property damage that could have been averted or minimized.
The government has asked that the lawsuits be dismissed because it has sovereign immunity.
The flooding left 26 people dead and caused an estimated $2 billion worth of damage.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- April 30, 2012: Volunteers transform neighborhood damaged by historic flood
- March 28, 2012: Opry Mills Mall reopens nearly 2 years after flood
- March 27, 2012: Local businesses anticipate reopening of Opry Mills Mall
- March 27, 2012: Chuy's opens at Opry Mills Mall
- March 20, 2012: Josh Turner to headline Opry Mills grand reopening celebration
- Feb. 16, 2012: Opry Mills announces additional stores opening next month
- Feb. 6, 2012: Opry Mills to host job fair Tuesday
- Jan. 27, 2012: 60-plus stores to return, open at Opry Mills
- Jan. 16, 2012: Chuy's to open at Opry Mills Mall
- Jan. 8, 2012: Opry Mills stores hiring for reopening
- Nov. 28, 2011: Dave & Busters reopens at flooded mall
- Nov. 18, 2011: Opry Mills moviegoers raise $56K-plus for charity
- Nov. 14, 2011: Regal Cinemas reopens at flooded Opry Mills Mall
- Nov. 10, 2011: 3 stores, movie theater to reopen at flooded Opry Mills
- Oct. 24, 2011: Movie theater at Opry Mills to reopen in Nov.
- April 12, 2011: Opry Mills Mall to reopen in spring 2012
- April 11, 2010: Future of Opry Mills Mall to be announced Tuesday
- Dec. 23, 2010: Off Broadway Shoes applies for rebuilding permit at Opry Mills
- Nov. 15, 2010: Repairs on Opry Mills Mall shut down
- Sept. 18, 2010: Bass Pro Shops reopens at Opry Mills
- Sept. 15, 2010: Opry Mills lawsuit concerns city, shoppers, employees
- Sept. 15, 2010: Bass Pro Shops ready to reopen doors this weekend
- Sept. 14, 2010: Opry Mills sues to enforce insurance coverage
- Aug. 16, 2010: No timeline set for Opry Mills reopening
- May 20, 2010: Opry Mills Mall shows clean up progress
- May 11, 2010: Opry Mills to remain closed