KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Former Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt is the 2012 winner of the AARP Andrus Award, given to a person who embodies the organization's goal of bringing lifetimes of experience and leadership to serve all generations.
The organization is honoring Summitt's work with the Pat Summitt Foundation, which awards grants to nonprofit organizations researching Alzheimer's disease. Summitt announced last year she had early-onset dementia, Alzheimer's type.
The award is named after AARP founder Ethel Percy Andrus. Previous winners include Maya Angelou, Tom Brokaw, Norman Lear and Colin Powell.
Summitt stepped down in April with 1,098 career victories, making her the winningest coach in Division I men's or women's basketball history. Summitt, who remains on staff as head coach emeritus, led Tennessee to eight national titles in her 38-year tenure.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Nov. 1, 2012: Pat Summitt watches Lady Vols start post-Summitt era
- Oct. 30, 2012: Pat Summitt's departure creates uncertainty in SEC
- Oct. 26, 2012: Pat Summitt selected to Lady Vols Hall of Fame
- Oct. 25, 2012: Pat Summitt helps raise money for early onset dementia
- Oct. 5, 2012: Pat Summitt says she was not forced out by Tennessee
- Oct. 3, 2012: Pat Summitt initially felt forced out by Tennessee
- Sept. 4, 2012: Titans to honor former Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt
- August 23, 2012: Summitt honored with Ignite Greatness Award
- July 13, 2012: Pat Summitt to serve as grand marshal at Bristol race
- July 12, 2012: Pat Summitt wins trophy at ESPY Awards
- May 29, 2012: Pat Summitt awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom at White House
- April 19, 2012: Ashland City residents support native Pat Summitt's retirement
- April 19, 2012: Summitt to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
- April 19, 2012: Summitt: It has been a 'great ride' at Tennessee
- April 18, 2012: Pat Summitt steps down as Lady Vols head coach
- April 5, 2012: Pat Summitt chosen Tennessean of the Year
- March 27, 2012: Focus now on Pat Summitt's future with Lady Vols
- March 26, 2012: Baylor pounds Tennessee 77-58 for Final Four bid
- March 13, 2012: Fans sign billboard in support of Pat Summitt
- Nov. 16, 2011: Vols' basketball teams to honor Pat Summitt
- Nov. 13, 2011: Pat Summitt presented with Courage Award
- Nov. 5, 2011: Summitt's diagnosis raises Alzheimer's awareness
- Oct. 5, 2011: Pat Summitt happy to be back at practice
- Aug. 23, 2011: Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia