After watching television reports of a devastating Nashville apartment fire on Wednesday, a Mid-State man said he knew he had to do something for those affected.
At least 11 residents were displaced after a tossed cigarette sparked a two alarm fire at a Point Breeze apartments located in the 400 block of Lemont Drive.
Crews were able to contain the fire to one building where at least eight units were damaged.
After seeing the devastating images on news reports on Wednesday night while at an area hospital with a family member, Myron Kinnard said he decided to assist those who lost their home the day before Thanksgiving.
“Basically we saw this report over and over again, and by the time we left the hospital I could not get it out of my head,” he said.
Kinnard continued, “I live down the street from here, and it was just on my mind all night and all morning, so I felt the need to get up and do something, so this morning I went to Walmart and bought eight frozen turkeys.”
William Jarvis was among those who received Kinnard's gift on Thursday.
“Myron let me give you a hug brother. God bless you man,” he said
In addition to Kinnards's help, the American Red Cross and several area churches are providing assistance.
- Nov. 21, 2012: Tossed cigarette sparks apartment fire, displaces residents