NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – The number of patients in Tennessee sickened by an outbreak of fungal meningitis continues to grow.
The Tennessee Department of Health reported on its website Friday that the number of patients currently stands at 81, up from 80 patients reported on Thursday. The number of deaths from the outbreak remained at 13 statewide.
The outbreak of the non-contagious fungal meningitis has been linked to steroid injections from the Massachusetts-based New England Compounding Center, which recalled the product on Sept. 26.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said the period of greatest risk for the development of fungal meningitis is during the first six weeks, or 42 days, after receiving the injection.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Nov. 8, 2012: Tenn. fungal meningitis cases increase to 80
- Nov. 5, 2012: Tenn. sees 13th death in meningitis outbreak
- Nov. 2, 2012: Tenn. death toll from tainted medicine rises to 12
- Nov. 1, 2012: CDC: Tennessee meningitis cases increase to 75
- Oct. 31, 2012: Mass. firm tied to closed pharmacy issues recall
- Oct. 30, 2012: Another meningitis death reported in Tennessee
- Oct. 26, 2012: Death toll from meningitis rises to 10 in Tenn.
- Oct. 25, 2012: Madison woman sues steroid manufacturer for $5M
- Oct. 24, 2012: Dreyzehner: New CDC meningitis analysis provides hope
- Oct. 23, 2012: Pharmacist linked to outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 20, 2012: Meningitis death toll in Tenn. rises to 9
- Oct. 18, 2012: Tenn. sees 2 new meningitis cases
- Oct. 16, 2012: Meningitis possibly expands to other New England company products
- Oct. 15, 2012: Tenn. meningitis sues New England pharmacy
- Oct. 15, 2012: Pharmacy suspected in outbreak surrenders license
- Oct. 14, 2012: Meningitis cases increase by 3 since Friday
- Oct. 13, 2012: Rutherford County School employee diagnosed with meningitis
- Oct. 11, 2012: Attorneys expect number of lawsuits in meningitis outbreak
- Oct. 11, 2012: Meningitis outbreak toll: 170 cases, 14 deaths
- Oct. 10, 2012: Meningitis cases in Tennessee increase to 44
- Oct. 9, 2012: What does life look like for fungal meningitis survivors?
- Oct. 9, 2012: Meningitis outbreak deaths rise to 6 in Tenn.
- Oct. 8, 2012: 4 Tenn. deaths linked to meningitis, 8 nationwide
- Oct. 7, 2012: CDC: More than 90 people ill with meningitis
- Oct. 6, 2012: CDC: Meningitis outbreak death toll rises to 7
- Oct. 5, 2012: 29 Sickened from fungal meningitis in Tennessee
- Oct. 4, 2012: Meningitis outbreak claims 3rd victim in Tennessee
- Oct. 3, 2012: Massachusetts firm tied to outbreak suspends operations
- Oct. 3, 2012: Rare meningitis cases up to 26 in 5 states, 4 die
- Oct. 2, 2012: Epidural patients worry about meningitis
- Oct. 2, 2012: 2 additional cases identified in meningitis 'outbreak'
- Oct. 1, 2012: Meningitis vaccinations offer best protection against infection
- Oct. 1, 2012: Nashville outpatient facility closed after 2 meningitis deaths