KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee's Holly Warlick insists she doesn't feel much pressure replacing one of the greatest figures in the history of women's basketball.
Warlick views becoming the Lady Vols' head coach as stepping in for her mentor after a long apprenticeship.
Still, Pat Summitt's legacy casts a big shadow.
Warlick, 54, played for Summitt and worked on her Lady Vols' staff for 27 seasons. They won eight national championships together.
Warlick now takes over for the winningest coach ever in Division I men's or women's college basketball. Her tenure begins Nov. 9 when the Lady Vols travel to Chattanooga.
Summitt, who was diagnosed with early-onset dementia Alzheimer's type last year, stepped down at the end of the 2011-12 season. She remains on staff as head coach emeritus.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Oct. 5, 2012: Pat Summitt says she was not forced out by Tennessee
- Oct. 3, 2012: Pat Summitt initially felt forced out by Tennessee
- Sept. 4, 2012: Titans to honor former Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt
- August 23, 2012: Summitt honored with Ignite Greatness Award
- July 13, 2012: Pat Summitt to serve as grand marshal at Bristol race
- July 12, 2012: Pat Summitt wins trophy at ESPY Awards
- May 29, 2012: Pat Summitt awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom at White House
- April 19, 2012: Ashland City residents support native Pat Summitt's retirement
- April 19, 2012: Summitt to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
- April 19, 2012: Summitt: It has been a 'great ride' at Tennessee
- April 18, 2012: Pat Summitt steps down as Lady Vols head coach
- April 5, 2012: Pat Summitt chosen Tennessean of the Year
- March 27, 2012: Focus now on Pat Summitt's future with Lady Vols
- March 26, 2012: Baylor pounds Tennessee 77-58 for Final Four bid
- March 13, 2012: Fans sign billboard in support of Pat Summitt
- Nov. 16, 2011: Vols' basketball teams to honor Pat Summitt
- Nov. 13, 2011: Pat Summitt presented with Courage Award
- Nov. 5, 2011: Summitt's diagnosis raises Alzheimer's awareness
- Oct. 5, 2011: Pat Summitt happy to be back at practice
- Aug. 23, 2011: Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia