KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Former Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt says she retired on her own and never believed athletic director Dave Hart forced her to step down.
Summitt issued a statement Friday in response to the “misunderstandings” her signed affidavit created when she indicated that she had been forced out.
She said Friday “it was entirely my decision to step down” in April and that she never felt “forced out” by the university.
In the signed affidavit released Wednesday as part of former Lady Vols media director Debby Jennings' lawsuit against Tennessee, Summitt says Hart told her on March 14 she'd be replaced after the season. She said Hart later told her she'd misinterpreted his comments.
The 60-year-old Summitt has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia and is currently Tennessee's head coach emeritus.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Oct. 3, 2012: Pat Summitt initially felt forced out by Tennessee
- Sept. 4, 2012: Titans to honor former Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt
- August 23, 2012: Summitt honored with Ignite Greatness Award
- July 13, 2012: Pat Summitt to serve as grand marshal at Bristol race
- July 12, 2012: Pat Summitt wins trophy at ESPY Awards
- May 29, 2012: Pat Summitt awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom at White House
- April 19, 2012: Ashland City residents support native Pat Summitt's retirement
- April 19, 2012: Summitt to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
- April 19, 2012: Summitt: It has been a 'great ride' at Tennessee
- April 18, 2012: Pat Summitt steps down as Lady Vols head coach
- April 5, 2012: Pat Summitt chosen Tennessean of the Year
- March 27, 2012: Focus now on Pat Summitt's future with Lady Vols
- March 26, 2012: Baylor pounds Tennessee 77-58 for Final Four bid
- March 13, 2012: Fans sign billboard in support of Pat Summitt
- Nov. 16, 2011: Vols' basketball teams to honor Pat Summitt
- Nov. 13, 2011: Pat Summitt presented with Courage Award
- Nov. 5, 2011: Summitt's diagnosis raises Alzheimer's awareness
- Oct. 5, 2011: Pat Summitt happy to be back at practice
- Aug. 23, 2011: Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia