A day after pounding out a 24-16 win over California, Goodlettsville fell short at the Little League World Series final on Sunday, losing to Japan 12-2.
The story of the game was the dominant pitching performance on the mound by Japan's Kotaro Kiyomiya. Coming into Sunday's championship game, the 13-year-old had only given up one hit in over six innings pitched.
Tennessee failed to register a hit until a fourth inning homerun from Brock Myers, his fifth of the tournament.
In the meantime, Japan scored every inning, notching two runs in the first, one in the second, and two more in the third. After two and a half innings, Japan led the All Stars from Goodlettsville 5-1.
Japan didn't slow down in the fourth, scoring six runs on three hits.
Heading into the fifth inning, Goodlettsville was staring at a nine-run deficit.
Lorenzo Butler, though, showed that Saturday's performance was no fluke.
Butler led-off the inning by smashing a homerun over the leftfield fence, shrinking the deficit to eight.
Japan finished off the game with a two-run shot to centerfield, taking the lead 12-2, run-ruling the Goodlettsville Little Leaguers.
The Goodlettsville All Stars are scheduled to arrive at the Nashville International Airport on Monday.
The airport is hanging banners for the team, welcoming the United States champs back home.
The team will return home, arriving at Goodlettsville City Hall around 11 a.m.
The entire community is encouraged to come and welcome the players and coaches back home.
- August 25, 2012: Goodlettsville advances to Little League World Series final
- August 24, 2012: Goodlettsville ready for U.S. championship game
- August 22, 2012: Goodlettsville advances to World Series U.S. championship game
- August 19, 2012: Goodlettsville advances in World Series beating California 9-6
- August 15, 2012: Nashville attorney donates $5K to Goodlettsville Little League
- August 13, 2012: Families hold fundraiser to travel to Little League World Series
- August 10, 2012: Goodlettsville advances to Little League World Series
- August 8, 2012: Goodlettsville team 1 win away from Little League World Series