On Saturday, Sumner County businesses hosted an event to support local businesses at Gallatin High School.
The event was also to drum up support for Sumner County Schools.
County commissioners and school board members are currently locked in a budget battle to fund the schools.
Monday was supposed to be the first day of classes for district students. However, the board postponed school until a budget deal could be reached.
Students like MeriAllen Krueger are trying to stay on top of the issue.
Krueger created a Facebook page called SOS Save Our Schools.
“I did it last year so I could know what would happen this year and I would know more about it and I wouldn't be as confused,” Krueger told Nashville's News 2.
For the last year, Krueger has paid close attention to her school district's budget problems.
“We might have to lose a lot of teachers if they don't fund the schools and approve the budget,” Krueger said.
Krueger should have started her seventh grade school year last Monday. Now, she is questioning just when she will be able to return to the classroom.
“I hope that we can go back to school as soon as possible,” Krueger said. “We could also get the funding so schools have what they need.”
Graduates of Sumner County schools like Niki Hentsch agree.
“This is for our kids,” Hentsch said. “We need to get them back in schools so that we can get them prepared for the world.”
Sumner County commissioners will hold another emergency meeting Monday at 7 p.m.
- August 10, 2012: Emergency meeting called to discuss Sumner County school budget
- August 9, 2012: Parents flood school board meeting to discuss Sumner County budget
- August 8, 2012: Sumner County sits on unused money, Schools remain closed
- August 8, 2012: School funding stalemate drags on in Sumner County
- August 7, 2012: Sumner County's delayed school year could affect sports teams
- August 6, 2012: Still no start date for schools in Sumner County
- August 5, 2012: Sumner County parents to rally in response to closed schools
- August 2, 2012: Sumner County school year delayed until budget reached
- July 16, 2012: Sumner County Commission wants school budget cut