A candle is to blame for a fire that destroyed a home early Tuesday morning in Green Hills, Nashville fire officials announced in a report.
The blaze broke out just after 5 a.m. at a home in the 2800 block of Sugar Tree Road off of Abbott Martin Road.
Officials reported that the cause of the fire was an outdoor candle left on a wicker stand on the deck.
Before crews arrived, they received multiple calls stating that the back porch was on fire and flames were spreading quickly to the home.
Upon arrival, firefighters reported flames were coming from all sides of the house. They were able to quickly determine no one was inside.
One of the residents was in the front yard spraying water on a car to try and save the vehicle.
There were two vehicles in the back where the fire started. Both suffered extensive damage.
An hour later, flames were still visible inside the home as fire crews tried to make their way into the attic area.
The owner of the house told Nashville's News 2 the family renting the home was inside before the blaze broke out.
“My renter Joe Gomez called me at 5:22 a.m. and said, ‘The house is on fire, we're all out okay, but it looks like it's going to be a total loss,'” homeowner Jerry Bowen said.
The mother, father, two children, ages 6 and 12, and three relatives visiting for the holiday weekend were chased out by the flames.
They did not have time to retrieve anything.
“They're tenants, but they're also friends and now they don't have a home, so we're trying to figure out what to do about that,” Bowen said.
One firefighter was able to get a wallet and some papers from inside the house, which Bowen built in the mid-1950s.
“It was a brick ranch. It was built in 1955 and I took the center portion of the house and gutted it and built a second floor wing with a porch deck,” he said.
One firefighter was transported to St. Thomas hospital to be treated for heat exhaustion.
Sugar Tree Road was shut down while crews battled the fire. The road reopened around 8:30 a.m.