A downtown high-rise will not reopen Tuesday following an electrical fire Monday night.
The fire started just after 9 p.m. in an elevator shaft at the Parkway Tower on James Robertson Parkway.
Firefighters said a malfunction in the electrical panel sparked the fire, which sent flames shooting up seven floors inside a wiring panel in the parking garage.
The sprinkler system went off, causing a minor.
“[The] sprinkler system actually shorted out the transformer causing it to explode in the basement,” Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Hoover said.
No one was inside the building at the time and no one was injured.
All the smoke and flames were contained to the parking garage and never entered the office rooms.
A fire department spokesman said the building is going to need some electrical work and would not reopen Tuesday.