A Bedford County man said he credits his three small dogs for saving his life after his home recently caught on fire.
Homeowner Doyce Mitchell told Nashville's News 2 his dogs, Lukie, Pinch and Fiddle alerted him when their Shelbyville trailer, located about 60 miles east of Nashville, went up in flames early Monday morning.
“They barked, pulled on me and jumped all over me,” Mitchell said. “We all sleep in the same room, sleep in the same bed. When I sat up on the bed, I was about belly button up in smoke.”
Mitchell told Nashville's News 2 he treats the Jack Russell and Red Terrier mixes as a part of his family.
“They are like my kids, my best friends. I have more faith in them than I do people,” he said.
Mitchell said the fire was electrical and started from a fuse box that was mounted outside of his home.
“If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here. I'm very thankful for them,” he said.
Mitchell and his pets were able to escape the home without injury, though the home is nearly a complete loss.
“[The] fire and all stayed in the back bedroom, but it ruined everything,” he said.
Mitchell said his property was insured.