NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Occupy Nashville protesters who have been living on Legislative Plaza are preparing for more arrests under a state law passed last month making it illegal for anyone to camp on state-owned land that is not specifically designated for that purpose.
The protesters were given a seven day notice to remove their campsites last Friday and members of the group said Thursday the state could start enforcing the law starting after midnight.
Jason Steen, a protester, said the law that was designed to evict Occupy Nashville affects anyone who is homeless in Tennessee. The number of tents at the plaza has dwindled, but several remained on Thursday.
Violators can face up to a year in jail or a fine of up to $2,500 or both.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- March 2, 2012: Occupy Nashville bill becomes law
- Feb. 27, 2012: Occupy Nashville bill headed to governor
- Feb. 27, 2012: Bill targeting Occupy Nashville will hit homeless
- Feb. 23, 2012: 'Occupy Nashville' bill passes Senate 20-10
- Feb. 16, 2012: Anti-Occupy Nashville bill passes House
- Feb. 15, 2012: Lawmakers may ban protesters from camping at plaza
- Feb. 14, 2012: Occupy protesters announce plans to move encampment
- Feb. 12, 2012: Occupy Nashville protesters consider withdrawing
- Feb. 7, 2012: House sends anti-Occupy bill to full floor vote
- Jan. 30, 2012: Bill would ban public camping, force Occupy tent removal
- Dec. 30, 2011: Man charged with setting tent at Occupy camp ablaze
- Dec. 25, 2011: Protesters occupy Tenn. plaza on Christmas Day
- Dec. 4, 2011: Police arrest 13 protesters associated with Occupy Nashville
- Nov. 20, 2011: Protesters prepare for indefinite stay on plaza
- Nov. 14, 2011: Citations issued to Occupy Nashville protesters dismissed
- Nov. 10, 2011: Governor seeks to drop Occupy Nashville charges
- Nov. 9, 2011: Staffer says she was urinated on near Occupy Nashville protesters
- Nov. 4, 2011: Occupy movement spreads to Murfreesboro
- Nov. 3, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters deliver letter to governor
- Nov. 2, 2011: Faces of Occupy Nashville revealed
- Nov. 1, 2011: Occupy Nashville comes with cost
- Nov. 1, 2011: Haslam: Curfew, arrests, necessary for safety
- Oct. 31, 2011: Tenn. agrees to stop arresting Occupy protesters
- Oct. 30, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters expect arrests
- Oct. 29, 2011: Judge dismisses Occupy Nashville warrants
- Oct. 28, 2011: Arrested Occupy protesters issued citations, released
- Oct. 26, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters stand their ground
- Oct. 18, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters march through downtown
- Oct. 6, 2011:'Occupy Nashville' protest held at Legislative Plaza