NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Gov. Bill Haslam has signed a bill aimed at evicting Occupy Nashville protesters.
The Republican governor signed the measure into law on Friday.
The law makes it a crime to camp on any state-owned land that is not specifically designated for camping – not just the War Memorial Plaza near the Capitol where Occupy Nashville protesters have set up tents.
Those violating the measure will be punished by nearly a year in jail or a fine of up to $2,500 or both.
Tennessee Department of General Services Commissioner Steve Cates said in a news release issued Friday that notices are being posted statewide about the new law, which he said will be enforced after seven days.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feb. 27, 2012: Occupy Nashville bill headed to governor
- Feb. 27, 2012: Bill targeting Occupy Nashville will hit homeless
- Feb. 23, 2012: 'Occupy Nashville' bill passes Senate 20-10
- Feb. 16, 2012: Anti-Occupy Nashville bill passes House
- Feb. 15, 2012: Lawmakers may ban protesters from camping at plaza
- Feb. 14, 2012: Occupy protesters announce plans to move encampment
- Feb. 12, 2012: Occupy Nashville protesters consider withdrawing
- Feb. 7, 2012: House sends anti-Occupy bill to full floor vote
- Jan. 30, 2012: Bill would ban public camping, force Occupy tent removal
- Dec. 30, 2011: Man charged with setting tent at Occupy camp ablaze
- Dec. 25, 2011: Protesters occupy Tenn. plaza on Christmas Day
- Dec. 4, 2011: Police arrest 13 protesters associated with Occupy Nashville
- Nov. 20, 2011: Protesters prepare for indefinite stay on plaza
- Nov. 14, 2011: Citations issued to Occupy Nashville protesters dismissed
- Nov. 10, 2011: Governor seeks to drop Occupy Nashville charges
- Nov. 9, 2011: Staffer says she was urinated on near Occupy Nashville protesters
- Nov. 4, 2011: Occupy movement spreads to Murfreesboro
- Nov. 3, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters deliver letter to governor
- Nov. 2, 2011: Faces of Occupy Nashville revealed
- Nov. 1, 2011: Occupy Nashville comes with cost
- Nov. 1, 2011: Haslam: Curfew, arrests, necessary for safety
- Oct. 31, 2011: Tenn. agrees to stop arresting Occupy protesters
- Oct. 30, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters expect arrests
- Oct. 29, 2011: Judge dismisses Occupy Nashville warrants
- Oct. 28, 2011: Arrested Occupy protesters issued citations, released
- Oct. 26, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters stand their ground
- Oct. 18, 2011: Occupy Nashville protesters march through downtown
- Oct. 6, 2011:'Occupy Nashville' protest held at Legislative Plaza