Governor seeks to drop Occupy Nashville charges

Governor seeks to drop Occupy Nashville charges (Image 1)
Governor seeks to drop Occupy Nashville charges (Image 1)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Officials say Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam will ask prosecutors to drop charges against dozens of Occupy Nashville protesters arrested last month for trespassing.

David Smith, who is a spokesman for the Republican governor, said Thursday that the decision to dismiss the charges against 55 protesters was made in light of a federal judge's ruling that the state couldn't enforce the new curfew on the grounds around the state Capitol.

Smith said the state will still seek to enforce existing laws “designed to preserve public safety and health.”

State troopers used the curfew to arrest protesters the nights of Oct. 28 and Oct. 29.

Both times a Nashville magistrate refused to jail the protesters, saying the state didn't have probable cause to arrest them.

They were released with citations.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Previous Stories:

blog comments powered by Disqus