MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) – The trial over the site plan approval for the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro has been scheduled for next April.
Seventeen plaintiffs are suing Rutherford County, claiming officials violated Tennessee's open meetings law.
Plaintiffs' attorney Joe Brandon Jr. also tried to argue that the mosque violated his clients' constitutional rights, claiming mosque members were compelled by their religion to subdue non-Muslims.
Chancellor Robert Corlew dismissed that claim in May.
Rutherford County attorney Josh McCreary said that Corlew set an April 25 trial date during a hearing on Wednesday. Corlew also agreed to allow The Murfreesboro Post to intervene in the case.
Notice for the meeting where the site plan was approved was printed in The Post. Plaintiffs argue The Post is not a newspaper of general circulation, as required by law.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Sept. 29, 2011: Groundbreaking held for new Murfreesboro mosque
- Sept. 14, 2011: Mosque construction delayed after bids lacking
- Aug. 29, 2011: Judge upholds ruling in favor of mosque project
- May 19, 2011: Judge rules against plaintiffs in mosque suit
- March 10, 2011: Mosque opponents lose effort to get 31,000 emails
- Nov. 17, 2010: Rutherford Co. judge won't stop mosque construction
- Oct. 21, 2010: Plaintiffs' attorney questions mosque intention
- Oct. 20, 2010: More angry words as mosque hearing resumes
- Oct. 19, 2010: Court battle over Murfreesboro mosque to resume Wednesday
- Oct. 18, 2010: Feds file legal brief in support of Murfreesboro mosque
- Sept. 28, 2010: Mosque hearing focuses on site approval
- Sept. 27, 2010: Rutherford Co. judge considers stopping mosque construction
- Sept. 24, 2010: Rutherford Co. religious leaders unite in support of mosque
- Sept. 16, 2010: Mosque supporters gather at commissioners meeting
- Sept. 10, 2010: Local Muslims worry about anti-Islamic messages
- Sept. 3, 2010: Accelerants used to start mosque fire, Reward offered
- Aug. 31, 2010: Vigil held after latest incidents at mosque site
- Aug. 30, 2010: Gunshots heard near Murfreesboro Islamic center site
- Aug. 28, 2010: ATF investigates arson at mosque construction site
- Aug. 24, 2010: Murfreesboro mosque construction enters 2nd day
- Aug. 12, 2010: Proposed mosque brings threat of lawsuit to commissioners
- Aug. 4, 2010: Islamic center controversy could prompt zoning changes
- July 15, 2010: Billboard opposes Murfreesboro Islamic center
- June 26, 2010: Residents rally to show support for Islamic Center of Murfreesboro
- June 24, 2010: Opposing sides come face-to-face at mosque rally
- June 24, 2010: Future Islamic center sign vandalized in Murfreesboro
- June 18, 2010: Rutherford Co. mosque reaches out after neighbors' public outcry
- June 17, 2010: Mosque approval last month stirs strong emotions
- Jan. 18, 2010: Vandals spray paint Murfreesboro Islamic center sign