NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Crews battled a massive, three-alarm fire at the Nashville home of Music Row legend Cowboy Jack Clement Saturday afternoon.
Authorities told Nashville's News 2 the fire broke out around 2 p.m. and quickly spread throughout the 4,000 square foot house located on Belmont Boulevard.
“This is a very large house fire, it's taken all our men and women can do to keep this house under control,” Nashville Assistant Fire Chief Charles Shannon said.
Clement, along with his girlfriend, Aleen Jackson and her son, Kevin Pittman, were inside the home sleeping when the fire sparked.
“I woke up to the smoke alarms and once I went around the corner smoke was barreling from the second floor,” Pittman said.
Chief Shannon said more than 60 firefighters were called to the scene to help battle the fire.
“The firefighters have been in for a tremendous amount of time, the fire is fully engulfed, had a good start on us, we have it controlled [but] it has reached a third alarm, which we don't get a lot,” he said.
Songwriter Don Devaney told Nashville's News 2 he, along with several other well known musicians and songwriters, have spent a lot of time in Clement's home, which also served as a music production studio.
“I can't believe my eyes. I can't believe it,” he said, adding, “This is where Johnny Cash and Charley Pride and all those records were produced upstairs there.”
Clements lost years worth of music memorabilia, records and music equipment in the three-alarm fire.
On Sunday, family and friends gathered at the legendary producer's home in an attempt to salvage some items.
“It was heartbreaking it really was,” friend Greg Hallmark said, adding, “Jack's always been very generous with his home his studio. This was a place where all kinds of incredible genesis' to hang out at.”
Crews have since determined faulty wiring in the walls of the attic caused the fire.
No one was injured.
Clement and his girlfriend are said to be staying at a neighbor's home.