NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nashville's new convention center is beginning to take shape above the ground but the roads below it are losing shape and may take a while to fix.
Demonbreun Street remains closed between 8th and 10th avenues due to a gaping the hole in the street.
The hole is the work of a Nashville Electric Service contractor who is installing an underground conduit system.
The system will connect to the new Music City Center and any other facilities that might need it in the future.
Construction is expected to continue for the next several weeks.
While Demonbreun Street is closed between 8th and 10th avenues, the intersection at 10th Avenue remains open.
Next week, a section between 8th and 9th avenues will reopen, but the intersection at 9th Avenue will remain shut down.
Beginning April 11, the work at 9th Avenue and Demonbreun Street will finish up and crews will move onto the intersection at 10th Avenue, which will close.
Moving in sections, a Nashville Electric Service spokesperson told Nashville's News 2 they hope to have the road work completed by early May.
That could change depending on the weather over the coming weeks.
Read more about the new Music City Center and get construction updates online at NashvilleMusicCityCenter.com.
- Feb. 17, 2011: Downtown road construction drags on
- Jan. 20, 2011: Construction workers claim too many out-of-state jobs at MCC
- Jan. 16, 2011: Downtown intersection reduced to 2 lanes for construction
- Jan. 13, 2011: Music City Center making fast progress
- Sept. 9, 2010: Construction continues on new Music City Center
- Aug. 24, 2010: Omni to build $250M convention center hotel
- March 22, 2010: Official groundbreaking held for Music City Center
- March 11, 2010: Music City Center creates construction jobs
- March 9, 2010: Blasting begins for new Music City Center
- Feb. 26, 2010: Convention center construction hits full throttle
- Feb. 8, 2010: Crews tear down first building in Music City Center's footprint
- Feb. 7, 2010: Auto shop relocates to accommodate convention center
- Feb. 4, 2010: Find alternative parking during downtown construction
- Jan. 21, 2010: Proposed Music City Center plans first conventions
- Jan. 20, 2010: Music City Center, Medical mart concerns addressed
- Jan. 20, 2010: Convention center given green light: Now what?
- Jan. 20, 2010: Convention center approval clears way for medical mart
- Jan. 19, 2010: Convention center approved, plans move forward
- Jan. 19, 2010: Council approves convention center financing package