NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee Grocers and Convenience Store Association continues to work to get wine sold in local grocery stores, as they have for the past four years.
Their campaign, Red, White and Food kicked off in 2008 and they have been pushing the legislation ever since.
Jarron Springer, president of the association, told Nashville's News 2 he is hopeful lawmakers will pass the bill this year.
“We have a good feeling that this is going to be heard this year, and the legislature is going to consider this bill,” Springer said.
He added, “There's a lot of reasons for them to pass it, it's a revenue source for the state, and uptake in jobs, $19 million in tax revenue.”
A new poll conducted by Middle Tennessee State University found that 69% of Tennesseans support the sale of wine in grocery stores, which is up 7% from two years ago.
Currently, five of the eight states bordering Tennessee, and 33 of the 50 states allow the sale of wine in food stores.
“It completely makes sense to the public that we would to this. Wine and food go together and it's something that consumers want and we would like to provide that,” Springer told Nashville's News 2.
Tennessee's Wine and Spirits Retailers Association is opposed to the bill.
“We're going to lose out on a little bit of sales, but we'll also be able to focus more on what we really want to be doing,” Sean Dodson manager of Village Wines told Nashville News 2.
Under the proposed bill, liquor stores would be allowed to sell snacks, non-alcoholic beverages and wine glasses among other things.
If the proposed bill passes, wine sales would still not be allowed on Sunday at grocery or liquor stores.
- Feb. 11, 2011: Local winery owners want wine sold in grocery stores
- Feb. 2, 2011: Supporters say wine in grocery stores would create jobs
- Oct. 28, 2009: Metro prepared for wine in grocery stores
- Oct. 28, 2009: Wine in grocery store debate returns to Capitol Hill
- March 24, 2009: Wine sales uncorks spirited debate, again
- Feb. 19, 2009: Budget shortfall could help bring wine to supermarkets
- Jan. 12, 2009: Lawmakers to discuss grocery store wine sales
- Nov. 17, 2008: Push continues to allow grocers to sell wine
- March 25, 2008: Wine won't be available in grocery stores anytime soon