LEBANON, Tenn. – A Wilson County pediatrician and her husband charged in connection to the death of their adopted daughter will go on trial later next year.
Deborah Mark was arrested in July and charged with first degree murder and several counts of child abuse after her four-year-old daughter, Kairissa, was found unresponsive and later died.
The child's father and Mark's husband, 47-year-old Steven Mark, is also charged with child abuse in the case.
Both have entered not guilty pleas and are out of jail on bond.
Their trial is set to start May 31.
Mt. Juliet police have said the case of child abuse was one of the worst they've seen.
The couple adopted the young girl from China.
- July 29, 2010: Doctor, husband plead not guilty in daughter's death
- July 20, 2010: Pediatrician's license suspended following daughter's death
- July 12, 2010: Doctor, husband charged after daughter, 4, dies
- July 5, 2010: Girl, 4, in child abuse case dies from injuries
- July 1, 2010: Mt. Juliet girl, 4, in critical condition, police suspect abuse