MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – A judge in Murfreesboro on Friday morning dismissed all remaining charges against former Detective Sgt. Ron Killings, according to the Daily News Journal.
The charges against Killings included tampering with evidence and filing a false police report after investigators said he disposed of at least one liquor bottle after a crash in July 2008 in which he hit and killed 11-year-old Lakeisha White.
White lived in Hopkinsville, Kentucky and was in Murfreesboro visiting family when she was killed.
Killings was charged with reckless homicide but found not guilty in a trial earlier this year.
Judge Royce Taylor ruled Friday that there was “no criminal episode” because of the earlier not guilty verdict, which an out-of-town jury heard.
“What Mr. Killings did after the crash is not relevant,” Taylor ruled. “It was not relevant what Mr. Killings had in the back of his car or what he did after the crash. What he did was not material.”
Killings refused comment following the dismissal of his remaining charges.
*The Daily News Journal contributed to this report.
- May 5, 2010: 2nd trial for former detective set for May
- Feb. 12, 2010: Girl's family reacts to former detective's acquittal
- Feb. 11, 2010: Jury finds former detective not guilty
- Feb. 11, 2010: Deputy tearfully recalls night 11-year-old was killed
- Feb. 10, 2010: Neighbor testifies in deputy's trial, says she 'heard' impact
- Feb. 9, 2010: Testimony begins in deputy's reckless homicide trial
- Feb. 8, 2010: Jury selected in former deputy's reckless homicide trial
- Oct. 9, 2009: Former detective's reckless homicide trial on hold
- Sept. 23, 2009: Hamilton Co. jurors to hear reckless homicide trial
- June 8, 2009: Former deputy faces Oct. trial date for fatal crash
- Feb. 4, 2009: Grand jury indicts Rutherford Co. deputy involved in fatal crash
- Oct. 25, 2008: Officers mishandled fatal accident investigation, police say
- Aug. 22, 2008: Acting DA in Lakeisha White case talks with News 2
- Aug. 18, 2008: Girl's family asks for new district attorney
- Aug. 11, 2008: Family files wrongful death suit
- July 18, 2008: Girl, 11, dies after being struck by car