NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A 14-page report released Monday night by the Metro Nashville Police Department reveals details into what former Titans quarterback Steve McNair and his girlfriend Sahel Kazemi were doing in the final hours before their deaths.
The report shows McNair and Kazemi sent each other dozens of text messages in the late hours of July 3 into the early morning of July 4.
According to the report, at 10:12 a.m. on July 3, Kazemi texted McNair saying, “Baby, I need to pay the cell phone bills [and] the hospital, can you transfer $2,000 to my account?”
At 3 p.m. that day, she texted she wanted to pay all her bills before she went into work, saying that the bills and “everything else” were stressing her out.
Nearly an hour later, McNair’s text to her read, “At the pool with the kids. I got the guy transferring the money.”
Then, at 10:23 p.m. on July 3, she asked him, “Do you wanna get out [and] drink?”
He responded he was “having trouble with the kids, getting to sleep.”
At 10:45 p.m., Kazemi said she was going to the condo McNair co-rented on Lea Avenue, off Second Avenue and downtown Nashville.
At 12:38 a.m. the next morning, McNair said he was on his way there.
Ten minutes later, she asked, “You want me to open the gate?”
At 12:52 a.m., McNair said, “No open the front door.”
Just after 1 a.m., Kazemi replied with, “It’s open.”
Metro police believe she killed McNair and then herself not long after that last text.
The case summary released by police Monday night also shared new details about the last two days of McNair’s life, including a possible second girlfriend.
Police have said in their investigation that Kazemi was emotionally down over McNair’s involvement with other women and her own financial situation.
The report says a woman named Leah Ignagni was also dating McNair.
Ignagni told police a couple of weeks before McNair’s murder she was leaving McNair’s Lea Avenue condo and saw a woman in a black Cadillac Escalade, the same type of vehicle Kazemi drove, outside the building.
Ignagni told investigators that Escalade followed her to her apartment in the Gulch.
Ignagni also told investigators McNair showed up at her place around 4 a.m. on July 2, the night Kazemi was arrested for DUI.
She said McNair came back around 10:30 p.m. that night and left her apartment early in the morning on July 3.
That night, text messages McNair sent to Kazemi stated he was at home with his kids, but Fowzi Ali, a driver for Yellow Cab Company, told investigators that McNair, who often called him for rides, called to be picked up at the Blue Moon Lagoon in west Nashville.
Ali said he drove McNair and two others to Loser’s night club on Division Street, where he says McNair stayed for about 20 minutes before asking to be taken to the condo on Lea Avenue.
Ali reported he recognized Kazemi’s Escalade when he dropped McNair off, sometime between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. on July 4.
Investigators believe the murder-suicide happened sometime after that.
McNair’s friend and business partner, Robert Gaddy, placed the call to 911 at 1:35 p.m. on July 4.
Click here to read the complete, 14-page report.
- Oct. 19, 2009: Police defend McNair investigation amidst CBS criticism
- Oct. 16, 2009: Judge authorizes sale of McNair’s restaurant
- Sept. 25, 2009: Ex-con pleads guilty to selling gun in McNair murder
- Sept. 15, 2009: McNair estate inventory lists $19.6M in assets
- Sept. 9, 2009: Records: McNair paid woman’s rent
- Aug. 13, 2009: Felon indicted for selling gun in McNair murder
- July 25, 2009: Mechelle McNair breaks her silence
- July 24, 2009: Felon arrested following McNair’s death to stay in prison
- July 22, 2009: Bond hearing for ex-con in McNair case continued
- July 20, 2009: McNair’s blood alcohol was twice legal limit when killed
- July 17, 2009: Felon arrested in sale of gun used in McNair murder
- July 16, 2009: McNair’s wife: Steve didn’t have will
- July 11, 2009: Steve McNair laid to rest in Mississippi
- July 10, 2009: McNair’s girlfriend laid to rest in Florida
- July 9, 2009: Thousands turn out to memorialize, honor slain quarterback
- July 9, 2009: Hundreds gather at funeral home to say goodbye to No. 9
- July 9, 2009: Sports radio host calls McNair’s death ‘numbing’
- July 8, 2009: Who was Sahel Kazemi?
- July 8, 2009: Police: McNair killed by girlfriend in murder-suicide
- July 8, 2009: Fans pay respects to slain quarterback at LP Field
- July 8, 2009: Friend says he first met McNair’s girlfriend last week
- July 7, 2009: Titans open LP Field for fans to pay respects
- July 7, 2009: Rap song has some questioning McNair murder
- July 7, 2009: Abundance of McNair memorabilia online
- July 7, 2009: Questions remain 3 days after McNair’s death
- July 7, 2009: Condo owner walks News 2 through crime scene
- July 7, 2009: Murder-suicide likely scenario despite unknown motive
- July 7, 2009: Police: MySpace comment made after McNair’s death
- July 7, 2009: McNair’s college coach reflects on the former Titan’s career
- July 6, 2009: Police: McNair’s girlfriend purchased gun Thursday
- July 6, 2009: Fisher calls McNair ‘great person’, ‘tremendous teammate’
- July 6, 2009: Neighbors say McNair frequented girlfriend’s apartment
- July 6, 2009: Memorial for McNair planned for Thursday
- July 6, 2009: Community holds candlelight vigil to remember McNair
- July 5, 2009: Autopsy shows McNair shot 4 times
- July 4, 2009: Former Titan Steve McNair dead
- July 1, 2009: Former Titans’ QB opens Nashville restaurant