Judge authorizes sale of McNair’s restaurant

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A probate court judge in Nashville Friday afternoon authorized the sale of slain NFL quarterback Steve McNair’s stake in the restaurant he opened earlier this year.

McNair opened Gridiron 9 on Jefferson Street in north Nashville just weeks before he was fatally shot by his 20-year-old girlfriend Sahel Kazemi, who then turned the gun on herself.

Steve McNair
Steve McNair

Court filings show McNair owned an 80% interest in the restaurant, with the other 20% split equally between McNair’s cousin, Raymond White, and friend, Robert Gaddy.

It was Gaddy who called 911 to report McNair’s murder on July 4.  In September, it was revealed McNair co-signed the lease of a Parthenon Avenue condo for White, which was later reportedly occupied by a young woman.

Last month, McNair’s widow Mechelle filed a motion to allow her husband’s estate to divest ownership of the restaurant, whether the co-owners agree to the deal or not.

Earlier this week, White filed an objection stating that he and Gaddy should be in control of the restaurant, since McNair passed away.

Following Friday’s hearing, White’s attorney couldn’t say what his client’s intentions were.

“I know it’s a bit strange but I have not had opportunity to talk to my client really about this motion,” he told News 2.

It now appears B.G. & W. Eateries will purchase McNair’s stake, valued at $45,000, and strip McNair’s name from the restaurant, as Mechelle McNair’s initial motion requested.

B.G. & W. Eateries has said they hope to reopen the restaurant, which has been closed since McNair’s death, in time for Tennessee State University’s homecoming the first week of November.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s