HERMITAGE, Tenn. – A gas leak at the corner of Central Pike and Dodson Chapel Road in Hermitage Wednesday morning shut down the intersection for several hours.
Officials said a construction crew hit a four-inch gas main around 9:30 a.m. and gas could be seen spewing from the line thereafter.
“They breached one of the natural gas lines, approximately four inches in diameter, and the pressure was 150 pounds,” Assistant Fire Chief Steve Holt explained.
The intersection is located within feet of Summit Medical Center, off Old Hickory Boulevard and north of Interstate 40, although service to the hospital was not disrupted.
Crews were able to stop the leak by 12 Noon but firefighters remained at the scene through the afternoon as a precaution.
The gas leak forced the evacuation of the Hermitage Community Center nearby.
Manager Calvin Hatcher was on the playground with several kids when they told by police to evacuate.
“I asked him what was going on and he told me there was a major gas leak and looking at it, it's major, [laughs], so we evacuated our kids and took them over to the police department,” he said.
The children from the center were taken to the Hermitage police precinct next door.
Down the street, Richard Benson had to close his market.
“I've got employees out of work and everything else for three hours,” he told News 2.
No area residents were evacuated but many trying to return home weren't allowed to do so until crews regained control of the situation.
No injuries were reported and the intersection of Central Pike and Dodson Chapel Road has since reopened.